Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Blast Injures Driver at Pushkin Square

Itar-TassInvestigators examining a car after a bomb exploded under the driver's seat on Tverskaya Ulitsa late Monday.
A small bomb detonated under the driver's seat of a Toyota Camry sedan near Pushkin Square late Monday, seriously injuring the owner.

The bomb went off at around 9:30 p.m. on the corner of Tverskaya Ulitsa and Strastnoi Bulvar, in front of the upscale Galereya Aktyor shopping center, police spokesman Konstantin Yarovenko said Tuesday.

RIA-Novosti, citing a law enforcement source, identified the businessman as Anatoly Aleksashin. His area of business was not immediately clear.

"According to preliminary information, the victim -- a Moscow resident born in 1965 -- has some sort of connection with the financial world," Yarovenko said on Rossia television.

Aleksashin and a female passenger were hospitalized at the Sklifosovsky First Aid Hospital. Aleksashin was in serious condition, Moskovsky Komsomolets reported on its web site, while the passenger escaped with bruises, Rossia said.

Witnesses said Aleksashin was stopped at a red light at Pushkin Square in his silver Camry when the bomb detonated, Rossia said.

The bomb tore off the car's bumper but otherwise incurred minimal damage to the vehicle.

Reached by telephone Tuesday, police spokesman Yevgeny Gildeyev and City Prosecutor's Office spokeswoman Valentina Titova declined to comment on the incident.

Police are investigating whether the incident was related to Aleksashin's business activities but also whether the bomb might have belonged to him and accidentally gone off, reported. Police have classified the incident as hooliganism and the illegal transportation of explosives, a police source told Itar-Tass.

Investigators are examining the possibility that the incident was related to marital problems the businessman was having, Moskovsky Komsomolets said.

Explosives and marital strife proved fatal last month in northeast Moscow when, in a heated argument, a man threatened his ex-wife with a grenade, which accidentally detonated and tore off his arm. The man subsequently died in the hospital.