Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Spartak Flinches in Glasgow Shootout

ReutersCeltic's Aiden McGeady, right, outrunning Spartak's Mozart in Wednesday's Champions League qualifier in Glasgow.
Spartak Moscow's dreams of the Champions League were put to bed Wednesday evening in Glasgow as the Russian side lost its third-round, second-leg qualifier to Scottish Premier League side Celtic in penalties.

In a dramatic but sloppy match that kept 60,000 fans on the edge of their seats at Celtic Park, the Scottish defending champions took the lead in the 27th minute with a goal by Australian Scott McDonald.

Spartak's Yevgeny Pavliuchenko answered with an equalizer from the corner in the 45th minutes, perhaps to make up for squandering a penalty a few minutes earlier.

In the second half, both teams threw away a number of chances to take the lead. Celtic failed to capitalize even when Spartak was reduced to 10 players after Martin Stranzl was red-carded for knocking over Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink.

In the ensuing shootout, Celtic goalie Artur Boruc of Poland made two crucial saves -- the first against Igor Titov, the second against Maksim Kalynchenko -- as his side came out on top, 4-3.

Celtic manager Gordon Strachan expressed his elation over the win to British daily The Independent, saying it was the kind of match he would still be telling people about in 25 years' time.

"It had everything," Strachan said. "A sending off, penalties, good football, silly football, a shootout -- it was a cracker."

With Spartak eliminated, Russia must place all its Champions League hopes on CSKA Moscow, seeded 21st.

Also on Wednesday, Arsenal beat Sparta Prague 3-0 in their second-leg tie to seal a 5-0 aggregate victory and a place in the Champions League proper for the 10th successive season.

Arsenal was never seriously troubled in the match, completing a quartet of English clubs in the group stage along with Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool.

MT, Reuters