Install

Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Pakistani Militants End Truce

PESHAWAR, Pakistan -- Suicide bombers struck Sunday in two areas of northwestern Pakistan, killing up to 38 people, while Taliban militants broke a 10-month peace pact with the government along the frontier with Afghanistan.

The militants said the cease-fire agreement was being terminated in North Waziristan, where Taliban and al-Qaida operate, because government forces had attacked the militants, failed to pay compensation to those harmed and created problems at check points.

"The peace agreement has ended," Abdullah Farad, a militant spokesman, told journalists in the city of Peshawar.

He said the Taliban chief in North Waziristan, Maulvi Gul Badahar, made the decision at a council meeting after the government had failed to abide by its demand that it withdraw troops from checkpoints by 4 p.m. Sunday.

The announcement came as suspected militants launched suicide attacks and a roadside bomb in the northwest which together killed 38 people and wounded more than 80.

The government has deployed thousands of troops to the restive region to thwart calls by extremists for a holy war to avenge the bloody storming of Islamabad's Red Mosque last week.

Three blasts struck a military convoy in Swat, a mountainous area of North West Province, killing 18 people and wounding 47, a government official said, citing an official report being sent to Islamabad.