Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

4 Guilty in London Bombing

LONDON -- Four men were convicted Monday of plotting to bomb London's public transport system on July 21, 2005, two weeks after a coordinated suicide bombing attack on the network killed 52 commuters.

Muktar Said Ibrahim, 29; Yassin Omar, 26; and Ramzi Mohammed, 25, were convicted of conspiracy to murder. Several hours later the same jury returned another guilty verdict for Hussain Osman, 28.

Judge Adrian Fulford told the jury of nine women and three men that he would accept 10-2 majority verdicts on the other two defendants, Manfo Asiedu, 34, and Adel Yahya, 24.

All six were accused of attempting to detonate explosives-laden backpacks on three subway trains and a bus in a mirror image of the July 7, 2005 attacks. The devices failed to explode, and no one was injured. The suspects denied the charges, saying the devices were duds and their actions were a protest against the Iraq war.

The verdicts followed a six-month trial at a London criminal court and came days after police uncovered a separate plot to detonate car bombs in London's entertainment district, and two men rammed a flaming Jeep Cherokee into Glasgow's airport.

The gang convicted Monday had mixed hydrogen peroxide -- an easily available chemical commonly used as a hair dye -- and chapati flour in a north London bomb factory to create a potentially lethal explosive. The explosives were packed in plastic tubs, with screws, bolts and other pieces of metal taped to the outside as shrapnel. The detonators contained triacetone triperoxide, an explosive used by the July 7 bombers.

Omar and Mohammed set off their devices aboard two subway trains; a couple of hours later, Ibrahim's device failed aboard a double-decker bus. Police said tests on the devices proved they were all viable. They do not know why they did not work.

Much of the prosecution's case was based on eyewitness testimony and closed circuit television footage from the targeted subway cars and bus.

In one of the most chilling pieces of footage, Mohammed attempts to detonate his charge with his backpack facing a mother and young child. Moments later passengers are seen running to the other side of a carriage.

Following the men's arrests, police acknowledged they had video evidence of a training camp in the northern English countryside taken a year before the attacks.