Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

School Chief Claims He Was Attacked at Casino

Police are investigating the alleged beating earlier this month of a Canadian citizen at a northern Moscow entertainment complex.

Stanislav Kotov, 36, filed a complaint to police March 8 stating that he was punched, kicked and knocked unconscious by three security guards at the Molodaya Gvardia complex earlier that day.

"They threatened to kill me," Kotov said Thursday in an interview.

Kotov, a Russian native, owns and runs the Canadian-English School near Paveletskaya metro station.

A man who identified himself as the head of security at the entertainment complex and called himself simply Igor denied that any beating took place.

"The individual was heavily intoxicated," Igor said. "He was politely asked to leave."

Igor said Kotov exited the main entrance of Molodaya Gvardia, which includes a casino, after cashing in some poker chips.

Kotov said he arrived with his girlfriend at Molodaya Gvardia at midnight to kick off International Women's Day. After dinner, they went to the casino at 2 a.m.

Kotov's girlfriend left at 4 a.m, feeling tired.

At about 5 a.m. and having accrued about $400 in winnings, Kotov was approached by two security guards, he said.

Kotov said the guards asked him to leave and that after he cashed in his chips, the guards led him away and beat him up. He says he was left unconscious and that when he woke up he was missing $2,800 and a mobile phone.

Igor offered a different version of events, saying Kotov had been drunk and disorderly, and that, after a short argument with guards, left the complex. "No one touched him," Igor said.

Kotov immediately reported the incident to the police. Police tried to persuade him not to file a report against the bouncers at the casino, but he filed the report anyway, Kotov said.

Kotov says police found him shortly after he had been beaten up and were aware that he had been robbed.

An officer at the Timiryazevskaya police station, which is investigating the case, declined to comment.