Install

Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Klebnikov Retrial to Start

The Moscow City Court will open a retrial Monday of two Chechens accused of murdering U.S. journalist Paul Klebnikov.

Anna Usachyova, a court spokeswoman, said Friday that the case was classified as "top secret" and the trial would take place behind closed doors.

Klebnikov, editor of the Russian edition of Forbes magazine, was shot dead near his Moscow office in 2004.

In 2006, a jury acquitted the two Chechen men, Kazbek Dukuzov and Musa Vakhayev, of murdering Klebnikov. Prosecutors said the trial had been flawed and appealed for a retrial. The retrial process was suspended in March because Dukuzov disappeared.

Alexander Chernov, a court-appointed lawyer for Dukuzov, said Friday that he had not had contact with his client and did not know whether he would turn up.