Install

Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Seized Motorola Handsets Returned

Authorities have returned a consignment of handsets manufactured by Motorola to their owner, mobile phone retailer Yevroset, ending a dispute which started when police confiscated them in March.

Police impounded 167,500 Motorola handsets destined for Yevroset on grounds that they were illegally imported merchandise, after they cleared customs at Sheremetyevo Airport on March 29. Schaumburg, Illinois-based Motorola is the world's second-largest mobile-phone maker.

Motorola said 116,500 handsets had been returned, while the remaining devices were destroyed after being damaged, according to spokesman Kiril Lubnin. The cellular phones had originally been impounded as police deemed them to be contraband goods, he said.

"Motorola expresses its gratitude to Russian authorities for the actions they took to resolve this situation," Sergei Kozlov, head of Motorola's office in Moscow, said in a statement Thursday.