Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Bodies of 2 More Pensioners Turn Up in Bittsevsky Park

Police said Friday that the bodies of two elderly men were recently found in Bittsevsky Park, indicating that a suspect arrested in late June may not be the serial killer linked to more than a dozen attacks in the park since December.

The latest victims died after being repeatedly struck on the head -- the trademark style of the so-called Bittsevsky Maniac, a police spokesman said. Police found the bodies in the southwestern Moscow park on June 30, several days after the killings.

The spokesman, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the case, said that despite the latest deaths, investigators were continuing to investigate Alexander Pichuzhkin, 32, who was arrested June 15 on suspicion of killing two women in Bittsevsky Park several days earlier. Investigators have said Pichuzhkin confessed to killing 69 people. "Why should investigators suspend the investigation if Pichuzhkin is continuing to cooperate?" the spokesman said.

Komsomolskaya Pravda reported Friday that the investigation into Pichuzhkin had been suspended after the latest deaths.

The spokesman refused to provide details about the latest deaths.

Pichuzhkin is charged with killing two women in a Bittsevsky-area grocery store where he once worked as a loader.

Most targets of the other attacks in the park have been elderly men, suggesting that police have yet to track down the real serial killer.

A source close to the investigation has said that Pichuzhkin is mentally unstable and might be claiming to be guilty of crimes he did not commit.

The hunt for the killer has been problematic. On Feb. 20, police shot and injured an apparently innocent man while combing the park for the killer. About 200 officers were deployed there after police received a tip that a man resembling the killer had been spotted. The officers detained a suspect, but he pulled out a knife and managed to break free from his handcuffs. He then tried to flee. Police shot the man in the leg, and he was hospitalized.