Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Suicide Bomber Attacks Iraqi Recruiting Base

BAGHDAD, Iraq -- A suicide bomber attacked an army recruiting station near a U.S.-Iraqi military base in northern Iraq Monday, killing at least 30 people and wounding 30 others, the U.S. military said. At least 21 more corpses were found -- many with nooses around their neck -- and mortar and bomb attacks killed at least four in Baghdad and surrounding towns.

The U.S. military said no American troops were hurt in the suicide bombing about 18 miles east of the ancient city of Tal Afar. The bomber struck shortly after noon at the station, killing both civilians and military personnel gathered at the mobile station.

American soldiers helped secure the area after the attack and treat the wounded, the U.S. military said.

Details of a joint U.S.-Iraqi Special Operations attack in northeast Baghdad late Sunday continued to filter out. The military said in a report that the joint operation "killed 16 insurgents and wounded three others during a house-to-house search on an objective with multiple structures.

"They also detained 18 other individuals, discovered a significant weapons cache and secured the release of an Iraqi being held hostage," the statement said.

Iraq's Interior Minister, however, reacted angrily, denouncing the operation and rejecting the U.S. account.

"Entering the Mustafa Shiite Mosque and killing worshippers was unjustified and a horrible violation from my point of view," Bayan Jabr said on the Al-Arabiya television news network.

Iraq police Lieutenant Colonel Falah al-Mohammadawi said 17 people were killed. Seven were members of the Mahdi Army, a Shiite military, three were members of the Islamic Dawa Patry-Iraq Organization that had an office in the mosque complex and seven were civilians with no affiliation.

Also Monday, Baghdad Governor Hussein Tahan told reporters the local government had cut ties to the U.S. military and diplomatic mission.

"The Baghdad provincial council has decided to stop dealings in regards to services and politics with the coalition forces and the U.S. Embassy because of the cowardly attack on the al-Moustafa mosque," he said without elaboration.

Jawad al-Maliki, a lawmaker from the United Iraqi Alliance, told a news conference that the Shiite bloc had canceled Monday's session of negotiations to form a new government.

"We suspended today's meetings to discuss the formation of the government because of what happened at the al-Moustafa mosque." He said the alliance was expected to decide on Tuesday when to resume the talks.

Reporters who visited the scene Monday morning said the site of the attack was clearly a neighborhood Shiite mosque complex, although the U.S. military insisted, "no mosques were entered or damaged during this operation."

Lieutenant Colonel Barry Johnson, a U.S. military spokesman, said the operation was started only after observation of the site convinced the military it was being used as a kidnapping cell.

"In our observation of the place and the activities that were going on, it's difficult for us to consider this a place of prayer," Johnson said. "It was not identified by us as a mosque, though we certainly recognized it as a community gathering center. I think this is frankly a matter of perception."

Baghdad police said at least 22 were killed in the attack after gunmen fired on the joint U.S.-Iraqi patrol from a position in the neighborhood but not from the mosque. Police and representatives of radical Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, who holds great sway among poor Shiites in eastern Baghdad, said those killed were in the complex for evening prayers and none was a gunman.

In an audiotape broadcast Monday, Saddam Hussein's chief deputy, who has eluded capture since the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq three years ago, purportedly called for Arab leaders to back Iraq's Sunni-backed insurgency.

The tape, which Al-Jazeera television said was made by Izzat Ibrahim al-Douri, appeared to be an address to the Arab League summit in Khartoum, Sudan, this week. Al-Douri was sixth on the U.S. most-wanted list of members of Hussein's regime. He had been Revolutionary Command Council vice chairman and a longtime Hussein confidant.

The voice on the tape said Iraq's Sunni-led insurgency was "the sole legitimate representative of the Iraqi people." It was impossible to determine the tape's authenticity.

The latest violence came a day after 69 people were reported killed in one of the bloodiest days in weeks. Most of the dead appeared to be victims of the Sunni-Shiite score-settling plaguing Iraq since Feb. 22, when a Shiite shrine was blown apart in Samarra. Thirty victims of the sectarian slaughter, most of them beheaded, were found dumped on a village road north of Baghdad.