Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Reports on Kozlov Inquiry Are Confirmed

The head of security at the Spartak sports complex on Thursday confirmed media reports that investigators had conducted a reenactment of the murder of Central Bank First Deputy Chairman Andrei Kozlov outside the facility last Friday.

National media reported this week that a suspect detained in the Kozlov murder was taken to the crime scene last week.

Police still have not officially confirmed that a suspect has been detained in the case.

The security chief, who refused to give his name, said prosecutors had ordered the complex to be evacuated for the duration of the reenactment, but declined to provide further details, citing the ongoing investigation.

Kozlov, who was 41, and his driver, Alexander Semyonov, who was 54, were gunned down by two assailants last month as Kozlov was exiting the Spartak sports complex.

Kozlov had been at the complex, in northeast Moscow, to take part in a friendly football match with other members of the banking community. Kozlov was rushed to a hospital, where he died hours later.

Three Ukrainian citizens were arrested earlier this month in connection with the crime, Vremya Novostei reported Thursday, citing a police source.

The suspects confessed to the murder, the source said, adding that they had been approached by strangers who offered them $20,000 to kill "a crook who cheats good people," the paper reported.

Viktor Patapov, spokesman for the Prosecutor General's Office, said he could not comment on the reports because of the ongoing investigation.

Police sharpshooters on the roof of the sports hall guarded prosecutors and the suspect who took part in Friday's reenactment, Izvestia reported, quoting a police source.

"[The suspect at the scene Friday] was about 1 meter, 85 [centimeters] tall. He wore a leather jacket, jeans and a blue baseball cap," the source said, Izvestia reported.

A female administrator in her 30s in the complex's main building, which houses the indoor football field and other facilities, said she had not been on duty Friday, but that she had received "instructions from the management" not to speak to the media. That sentence was parroted by all other staff members, including security guards.

"Everyone is interested in this, of course. But we have been told not to speak about that business," she said.

The shooting did not scare any customers away, she said, because "all our clients know that it was a personal matter not connected with our business."