Install

Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Police, FSB Chiefs to Be Questioned

Officials conducting a new investigation into last year's Beslan school seizure will question the heads of the security services, Deputy Prosecutor General Vladimir Kolesnikov said Thursday, Interfax reported.

Interior Minster Rashid Nurgaliyev and Federal Security Service director Nikolai Patrushev are two of the Moscow officials blamed by Beslan residents for the tragedy in which 331 people died, mostly children.

"We will question all people who were linked to these tragic events -- regional leaders and the heads of the security services, including Rashid Nurgaliyev and Nikolai Patrushev," Kolesnikov said, Interfax reported.

On last week's anniversary of the attack, President Vladimir Putin promised bereaved relatives that a new investigation would uncover the truth and punish officials who allowed the standoff to collapse into a bloodbath.

Beslan residents say two investigations already being conducted are ignoring evidence and will whitewash the actions of top officials, whom they blame for failing to stop the seizure of about 1,000 hostages.

No senior officials have been sacked or punished over the tragedy.

The Beslan Mothers' Committee said after their meeting with Putin that they would refrain from criticism of the new investigation in the hope that it would more closely examine the reasons why their children died.