Install

Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Suspects Sought in Ambush

ROSTOV-ON-DON -- Investigators questioned witnesses and searched for suspects Wednesday, a day after an ambush on security forces in Chechnya that killed 15 people, including two children.

The attack, which wounded nearly 30 people, was one of the worst on law enforcement forces in Chechnya in recent months.

State-run television said police had identified several suspects wanted for questioning. Itar-Tass, citing security officials, said no one had been detained but that police were looking for the former owner of a vehicle used in the attack in Znamenskoye, in the northwest.

Officials say attackers set a trap Tuesday by firing at a corpse left in a stolen police jeep to make the Interior Ministry troops believe a shooting was taking place. When the troops arrived, a bomb went off.

Roman Shchekotin, a spokesman for the southern branch of the Interior Ministry, said 14 people died Tuesday, including 11 law enforcement officers and three civilians. Two children, aged 13 and 14, were among the dead.

The death toll rose on Wednesday to 15 when a woman died in a hospital, Deputy Prosecutor General Nikolai Shepel said, Itar-Tass reported.

"Prosecutors are searching for the criminals and studying evidence, which has already established a circle of suspects who participated in the terrorist act," said Rudnik Dudayev, the head of the Chechen Security Council.

The attack occurred in an area of Chechnya under firm federal control, underscoring Moscow's inability to end the decade-long separatist insurgency.