Install

Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Suspect Detained in Voronezh Blasts

A 28-year-old man has been detained on suspicion of involvement in a series of explosions at bus stops over the past two years in the central city of Voronezh, prosecutors said Thursday, and they tied the suspect to radical Islamic movements that are battling authorities.

At least one person was killed and nine wounded in the three blasts, Itar-Tass reported. All were carried out during morning rush hour, and all involved the use of homemade bombs filled with metal shrapnel, NTV television said.

"This man adopted Islam, he shared the views of ... Wahhabis, which probably inspired him to commit these crimes," said Voronezh regional prosecutor Alexander Ponomaryov, referring to the ascetic Islamic sect.

"He belonged to illegal armed formations, whose headquarters are in the Caucasus," Ponomaryov said in remarks broadcast on television, which showed footage of explosive components and Islamic literature allegedly found in caches the suspect showed investigators.

The detainee testified that the explosions were organized by Nikolai Kipkeyev, a member of a criminal group called Muslim Society No. 3, Interfax said. Kipkeyev was killed last year when a female suicide bomber whom he was directing blew herself up outside the Rizhskaya metro station, the report said.

Kipkeyev has been tied to Achimez Gochiyayev, who was implicated in the series of 1999 apartment house explosions that shook Moscow and other cities, and Chechen rebel warlord Shamil Basayev, Interfax said.

Meanwhile, police in North Ossetia, site of last year's Beslan school hostage crisis, have temporarily banned rallies for fear of terror attacks. Ismel Shaov, spokesman for the regional Interior Ministry, said Thursday that the decision was due to information security officials had received regarding the possibility of new terrorist attacks. Entertainment companies have been instructed to notify the regional anti-terror commission in advance of any concerts or other crowded public events, Shaov said.

The single surviving suspect in the Beslan school seizure, Nur-Pashi Kulayev, is due to go on trial on Tuesday in the North Ossetian capital, Vladikavkaz.

 Federal forces killed 40 suspected rebels and detained another 10 in Chechnya over the past five days, Interfax reported Thursday.