Install

Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Beslan Attacker Faces Trial

A court will examine the case of the only surviving suspected hostage-taker in last year's Beslan school seizure, Deputy Prosecutor General Nikolai Shepel said Friday.

The case of Nur-Pashi Kulayev, who authorities say was the only hostage-taker who survived the attack, soon will go to the North Ossetian Supreme Court, Shepel said.

Shepel said he will head the prosecutors' team in the trial and that the charges against Kulayev stipulated either a life sentence for him or a death penalty. Russia, however, imposed a moratorium on the death penalty in 1996.

Kulayev has admitted to taking part in the school raid but insisted he personally did not kill anyone, Itar-Tass said.

He has been charged with terrorism, hostage-taking, murder and attempts on the life of law enforcement officers among other charges, it said.