Install

Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

U.S.: TV Report Is Repugnant

KABUL, Afghanistan -- The U.S. military said Thursday it found "repugnant" and would investigate a television report that claimed U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan burned the bodies of two Taliban fighters and then used the action to taunt other Islamic militants.

A spokesman for Afghan President Hamid Karzai said the government had launched its own investigation into the alleged desecration.

"We strongly condemn any disrespect to human bodies, regardless of whether they are those of enemies or friends," said Karim Rahimi.

Australia's SBS television network broadcast video footage that purportedly showed U.S. soldiers burning the bodies of the suspected Taliban fighters in the hills outside the southern village of Gonbaz, near the former Taliban stronghold of Kandahar.

The network said the footage was taken by a freelance journalist, Stephen Dupont, who said he was embedded with the 173rd Airborne Brigade of the U.S. Army earlier this month. Dupont said the burnings happened on Oct. 1.

In the footage, two soldiers who spoke with American accents later broadcast taunting messages that the SBS said targeted the village, which was believed to be harboring Taliban soldiers.

"This alleged action is repugnant to our common values," U.S. Major General Jason Kamiya said in a statement from a base in Bagram, Afghanistan.