Install

Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Suspect Detained in Voronezh Killing

Itar-TassHundreds of foreign students rallying in central Voronezh on Tuesday. The poster on the left reads, "Let us live."
A suspect has been detained in an attack that killed an 18-year-old Peruvian student and seriously injured two other foreigners in Voronezh this week, the region's prosecutor said Wednesday.

"There is one detainee," Prosecutor Alexander Ponomaryov said, Interfax reported. "There are also a number of people who we are working with and checking their connection to the crime."

He did not provide further details about the suspect.

Enrique Arturo Angeles Hurtado, a first-year student at the Voronezh State Architecture and Civil Engineering University, died after 15 to 20 young men stabbed and beat him, a fellow Peruvian student and a Spanish student as they were walking near the Olimpik Sports Complex on the outskirts of Voronezh on Sunday evening.

The two other students have been moved out of intensive care but will remain in the hospital for at least more 10 days, Interfax reported. Both suffered serious head injuries in the attack.

Ponomaryov said there had been 45 crimes against foreigners in the region this year, or 0.3 percent of all crimes in the region. He said foreigners were the targets of so many attacks because there were a large number of them studying in Voronezh, not because of racist or xenophobic attitudes.

Prosecutors are investigating the attack as murder and hooliganism.

About 300 foreign students rallied in central Voronezh on Tuesday to protest the slaying and urge authorities for protection from xenophobia-related attacks. They chanted "We want to live!" and carried posters with the same message.

Meanwhile, two Chinese students who were beaten in Voronezh this summer asked a Voronezh court on Wednesday to grant clemency to two of their suspected attackers during a pretrial hearing.

The two were beaten by six young men, four under the age of 16, on July 15, prosecutors said. The attack was caught on camera by a local television channel.

The Chinese students first entered a motion to release the youngest suspect. "He apologized and didn't hit hard," one student said, Interfax reported. "I don't want him to face a tough punishment."

The oldest suspect, aged 19, on Wednesday also asked for forgiveness. "I repent. It won't happen again," said the unidentified teenager, Interfax reported.

The Chinese students then asked that he be granted leniency.

The court later dropped the hooliganism case against the four youngest suspects.

If convicted on hooliganism charges, the 19-year-old and the sixth defendant, aged 18, face up to two years in prison.