Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Peacekeepers Find Chaos, Bodies at Rebel Port

MONROVIA, Liberia -- U.S. and West African military officers ventured into Monrovia's rebel-held port for the first time and found aid warehouses looted and corpses floating by the docks. With President Charles Taylor due to step down Monday, his spokesman warned that government fighters might create chaos when he leaves.

"We are ready to kill and steal anytime," said a marijuana-toking government fighter, who goes by the name Red Devil. He spoke Saturday at an abandoned, bullet-pocked hotel serving as an outpost for Taylor's fighters on war-divided Monrovia's urban front lines.

U.S. and West African officers negotiated for days to gain access to the port, across front lines. The access is crucial to opening humanitarian lines for Liberia's capital -- especially for the cut-off government side, where tens of thousands of civilians have little to eat but leaves.

The presence of a building West African peace force, and Taylor's promise to resign on Monday, have helped bring a weak truce to Monrovia, while fighting persists in the countryside.

Vaani Passawe, Taylor's spokesman, said Saturday "our morale has been sapped," as the clock ticked on the president's tenure.

"The situation is likely to collapse unless some pressure is put to bear" on rebels, Passawe declared. "Once the president leaves, our boys might be stigmatized. If that is the case, you must expect chaos. Hell might just break loose."

The peace force had 687 troops on the ground in Liberia on Saturday, on its way to a promised 3,250-strong deployment. The capital remains split, with rebels refusing to allow opening of the port, and the flow of its food, until peacekeepers deploy in numbers adequate to hold it against Taylor's fighters.

UN workers returned to Monrovia for the first time Saturday after evacuating during fighting in late July. They had hoped to find largely intact World Food Program warehouses, holding the bulk of the agency's 10,000-ton stockpile of wheat, corn meal and other goods.

Instead, the U.S.-West African assessment mission found looted warehouses, with a trail of corn meal and crushed crackers in the otherwise all-but-empty buildings.

A rebel civilian official, Hadjia Sekou Fofana, insisted that government forces were responsible. "If anybody loots, they are placed on firing squad," Fofana said.

The West African peace force's chief of staff, Colonel Theophilus Tawiah of Ghana, said rebels had agreed to put in place a U.S.-backed proposal for a humanitarian corridor to the port as soon as peacekeepers build up an adequate force.

Kabineh Ja'Neh, a top rebel official at off-and-on peace talks in Ghana, said he was in favor of the humanitarian corridor "in principle." He stressed rebels had yet to make a formal decision on it.

Efforts to get humanitarian programs going again in the capital came with two days left in Taylor's regime -- if he quits as promised.

Taylor, a former warlord blamed for 14 years of conflict here, has pledged to resign Monday and go into exile in Nigeria some unspecified time after.

Taylor's government has refused comment on suggestions that Taylor could leave as soon as Monday, escorted by fellow West African leaders they say are coming for a resignation ceremony. The president has been reported as being adamant that he should have a dignified send-off.