. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

116 Die in Plane Crash in Sudan

KHARTOUM, Sudan -- A Sudanese airliner plunged into a hillside while attempting an emergency landing Tuesday, killing 116 people and leaving one survivor -- a 3-year-old boy found injured but alive amid a ghastly scene of charred corpses.

The Sudan Airways plane, headed from Port Sudan on the northeastern coast to the capital, crashed before dawn in a wooded area just after takeoff. The Boeing 737 wreckage was badly burned, and authorities decided to rapidly bury all bodies, including eight foreigners.

"The bodies were buried in a mass grave after performing the Muslim prayer because the conditions of the bodies would not allow transporting and delivering them to the relatives," the Red Sea State governor, Hatem el-Wassila, told the official Sudan News Agency.

The governor said the sole survivor, 3-year-old Mohammed el-Fateh Osman, had lost his right leg and suffered burns. The boy was in intensive care at a Port Sudan hospital, and doctors said he was in stable condition, el-Wassila said.

Eleven crew members and 105 passengers died, including three Indians, one Briton, a Chinese, an Ethiopian, a United Arab Emirates citizen and a woman whose nationality was unknown, state radio said. Also killed was a senior air force official and a member of parliament, it said.

A team of experts flew out to the debris-covered scene to investigate the crash, and recovered the black box flight recorder. Initial reports cited a technical fault.

About 10 minutes after takeoff, the pilot radioed the control tower to alert it to a problem in one of his engines, the Red Sea State governor told the Sudan News Agency.

The pilot announced he was returning for an emergency landing, but the plane went down a few kilometers outside the airport, the governor said.

A local journalist described the scene after the crash.

"Bodies were scattered everywhere, burned and charred and could be seen all over the place," Muhammad Osman Babikir of the El-Sahafa daily said by phone. "There was no way of performing the Muslim ritual of washing the bodies. It was horrible."