Install

Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Toll in Grozny Bus Blast Reaches 19

VLADIKAVKAZ, North Ossetia -- The death toll in the explosion of a passenger bus in Grozny reached 19 on Tuesday, and three suspects in the blast have been detained, Chechen government officials and Grozny police said.

The bus was blown up Monday afternoon as it passed by a land mine hidden in a metal container on one of Grozny's liveliest thoroughfares. Chechen officials said the blast had been intended for federal forces; two military trucks had moved swiftly past the hidden mine just seconds before the explosion, Chechen prosecutor Nikolai Kostyuchenko said, Interfax reported.

The police could not provide any details about the three detainees.

Meanwhile, about 200 vendors from Grozny's central market rallied Tuesday to demand an end to abductions, killings and general lawlessness in the city. The spontaneous protest followed the discovery Monday night of the bodies of three men who had worked as guards at the market checkroom and were abducted Sunday night.