Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Israeli Troops Kill 2 Militia Members

JERUSALEM -- A West Bank militia leader accused of dispatching suicide bombers was killed Tuesday in what witnesses said was an attack by Israeli troops, and Israel's Supreme Court upheld the practice of demolishing homes of Palestinian terror suspects without warning.

Despite the ongoing violence, Israeli Defense Minister Binyamin Ben-Eliezer met Palestinian Interior Minister Abdel Razak Yehiyeh late Monday to discuss cease-fire proposals that could lead to Israeli troops leaving some Palestinian areas.

Yehiyeh and other top Palestinian officials are to meet later this week with U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell in Washington.

Near the northern West Bank town of Jenin, the two Palestinian militiamen were killed by Israeli forces as they left a home in the village of Ja'a around midnight Monday, relatives said. Israeli armored vehicles and helicopters moved into the area, and there was sustained fire, residents said.

Walid Hafez, a grocery store owner, said he and other members of the village on Tuesday found the two bodies under a tree and behind a rock, where they apparently tried to take cover.

Both were members of the Al Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades, a militia linked to Arafat's Fatah movement.

One was Ali Ajouri, 23, accused by Israel of having sent two suicide bombers who blew themselves up in Tel Aviv on July 17, killing three foreign workers and two Israelis.

In Jerusalem, Israel's Supreme Court rejected a petition by Palestinian relatives of terror suspects whose homes are slated for demolition by the Israeli military. Petitioners asked for 48 hours notice to give them time to go to court to stop demolitions. The military said soldiers would be put at risk if warning was given.

In the Gaza Strip, Israeli helicopters fired missiles at a suspected weapons factory late Monday, lightly injuring four people and damaging three buildings.

The Israeli helicopters fired three missiles at the factory in Gaza City's Zeitouni neighborhood. Salim Bahtiti, 25, son of the factory owner, denied the shop was used to make weapons.