Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Jewish Settlers Kill Palestinian Girl, 14

HEBRON, West Bank -- Jewish settlers went on a rampage as they returned home Sunday from the funeral of an Israeli soldier, shooting dead a 14-year-old girl and wounding several other Palestinians in the West Bank city of Hebron, Palestinians said.

Using metal bars, stones and guns, settlers smashed windows of Palestinian cars and homes in Hebron's Old City. The violence broke out shortly after the burial of the soldier, one of four Israelis shot and killed in the area by Palestinian gunmen Friday.

Palestinian Nizin Jamjoum, 14, was standing on the balcony of her home when she was fatally shot in the head, said her brother Marwan, 26, who was injured. At least six Palestinians were hurt, doctors at the city's Alia hospital said. The injured included Ahmed Natcha, 8, who was stabbed when a group of settlers broke into his home and smashed furniture, said the boy's father, Hussain Natcha. The boy was in stable condition, the father said.

The Israeli military said it was aware of only one injured Palestinian and that he had received treatment from the troops. The army said it was attempting to calm tensions in Hebron, where several hundred Jewish settlers live among more than 100,000 Palestinians.

However, several Palestinian witnesses said that soldiers did little or nothing to stop the attacks by the settlers, which lasted for about an hour. Palestinian Dr. Tayser Zahadeh, who lives near the scene of the violence, said soldiers knew in advance that the settlers were likely to attack Palestinians.

"Before the funeral, the soldiers told us to stay in our homes and stay away from the windows, because they knew there was going to be trouble," Zahadeh said.

Shortly after the funeral, Zahadeh said he heard several gunshots and peered out the window, where he saw settlers using metal bars and stones to smash the windows of Palestinian homes.

"The soldiers weren't doing anything to stop them," Zahadeh said. "After one hour of vandalism, the police intervened. They were the ones who stopped the violence."

The army-imposed curfew in Hebron was supposed to be lifted during the day Sunday, and stalls in the main market opened in the morning.

However, the security forces, apparently fearing confrontations between Palestinians and the Jewish settlers, reimposed the curfew after about two hours by throwing stun grenades and firing tear gas to disperse Palestinians in the market.

That drove Palestinians home before the funeral for the Israeli soldier, Elazar Leibovitz, a resident of Hebron. Leibovitz was shot dead in a roadside ambush Friday.

A second car was also riddled with bullets, killing a Jewish couple, Yossi and Hana Dikstein, and one of their 10 children. With the nine orphaned children, aged 2 to 20, in attendance, the three were buried Sunday in the West Bank settlement of Psagot.

The Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigade, a militant group linked to Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat's Fatah movement, claimed responsibility for Friday's attack.