Install

Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Iraq Offers Suspect to America

WASHINGTON -- Iraq is holding accused World Trade Center bomber Abdul Rahman Yasin in jail and has made two offers to hand him over to the United States but was rejected by the U.S. government both times, the U.S. CBS News program "60 Minutes" reported Sunday.

CBS broadcast excerpts of an interview with Yasin, who is on the FBI's list of its 22 most-wanted terrorists, that it conducted last month at the Baghdad prison where the Iraqis told the network he had been held for eight years.

Yasin, born in the United States of Iraqi parents, moved to Iraq days after being questioned and released by the FBI in connection with the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center in which six people were killed.

His presence in Iraq has been cited as possibly bolstering any case the U.S. government might make for a military attack on the country.

Iraq's Deputy Prime Minister Tariq Aziz told "60 Minutes" that Baghdad had made two offers to return Yasin to the United States, first in 1994 and again after the Sept. 11 attacks.

Aziz said Iraq wanted to give up Yasin as proof that it had no involvement in either the 1993 bombing or the Sept. 11 attacks that killed about 3,000 people.