Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Kiselyov Gets Car Back for a Price

TV6 general director Yevgeny Kiselyov on Monday paid a 5,000-ruble fine and received his Landrover back from police, who seized it from him late Friday night.

Reports initially suggested Kiselyov's car was impounded because of a court order declaring him a debtor in connection with the Jan. 11 bankruptcy ruling against TV6.

But Moscow deputy chief court bailiff Svetlana Kukushkina said Monday that the fine would go to former Kaliningrad Governor Leonid Gorbenko, who won a defamation suit against Kiselyov's former channel, NTV, in a Kaliningrad regional court last year. The court ruled that an NTV broadcast on Dec. 25, 2000, which accused Gorbenko of corruption, had harmed the governor's honor and dignity.

Kukushkina said in a telephone interview that Kiselyov had not responded to a request to pay the fine last year and, in September, the traffic police had been asked to seize his car.

Kiselyov was stopped by police using sirens and flashing lights near the Kremlin around 10:30 p.m. Friday.

"It seems as if they were trying to frighten me and affect my morale," Kiselyov said on Ekho Moskvy radio Sunday night.

Kukushkina said the car's seizure was not connected to the liquidation of TV6 and that the timing of the seizure was the decision of police, not the bailiffs' office.

The Kaliningrad court also fined NTV 50,000 rubles and reporter Eduard Petrov, who now works for RTR's "Vesti" program, 1,000 rubles as a result of the broadcast on Dec. 25, 2000. No comment was available from NTV or Petrov whether they had paid the fines or had property seized until the fines were paid.

Kiselyov said that he might have forgotten to pay the fine.

No comment was available from the traffic police.

TV6 spokeswoman Tatyana Blinova said in a telephone interview that the payment did not mean Kiselyov accepted the ruling. His lawyers are considering an appeal, she said.

Blinova said the seizure of the car was inappropriate considering the small size of the fine and that police could easily have contacted Kiselyov to get the money.

Kukushkina said the action was "perfectly normal." She was not able to say how many cars had been seized in similar cases over the past year.

A spokeswoman for Musa Motors, which sold the car to Kiselyov at the end of 1999, said the value of the car was $62,000 to $70,000. All customs and other duties had been paid before the sale, she added.