Install

Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Lawsuit Says Cellphone Caused Cancer




BALTIMORE -- A Maryland physician has filed an $800 million lawsuit against a cellphone maker and a telecommunications company, claiming years of using the wireless devices caused his brain cancer.


Dr. Chris Newman, 41, of Jarrettsville, Maryland, brought the suit against Motorola Inc. and Verizon Communications on Tuesday in Baltimore City Circuit Court.


The federal Food and Drug Administration has said there is no evidence that radiation from cellular phones poses a health risk. However, the FDA has also said there is no proof that cellphones are risk-free.


The malignant tumor was discovered in March 1998 behind Newman's right ear. Newman's attorney, Joanne Suder, said her client, a neurologist, used wireless phones at least several times a day between 1992 and 1998.


"Because of the nature of his work he had to be in touch with patients on a minute-to-minute basis," Suder said.


The suit seeks $100 million in compensatory damages and $700 million in punitive damages.


Concerns that cellphones may cause cancer or other health problems have grown over the past few years.


In June, the FDA announced a partnership with the telephone industry under which about $1 million in studies on the issue would be conducted.


A trade group for the wireless industry introduced a new policy last month requiring cellphone makers to disclose information on radiation levels produced by their telephones.


More than 90 million American now have cellphones, most of whom began using them in the past five years.


Norman Sandler, a spokesman for Schaumburg, Illinois-based Motorola, said company officials had not seen the suit and could not comment.


However, similar lawsuits over the past few years all have been withdrawn by the plaintiffs or dismissed by the courts, Sandler said.


"We have maintained for years that such assertions are groundless," he said.