Install

Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

49 Still in Hospital

A week after a bomb ripped through the crowded underground passageway on Pushkin Square, 49 victims remained hospitalized and police continued a search for the bombers, so far with no breakthroughs, Itar-Tass reported.

The blast killed seven people outright and the death toll later rose to 12 as victims died in hospitals. In all 108 people sought medical help after the explosion and nine remained in critical condition Tuesday, Itar-Tass said.

Officials blamed the explosion on Chechens, but provided little evidence.

On Tuesday, Moscow police said they had arrested a man from the Caucasus region, where Chechnya is located, because he had traces of explosives on his hands.