Install

Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

WORLD BEAT: Singer Sues Tabloid for $20 million




LOS ANGELES -- Pop singer Celine Dion is suing the National Enquirer tabloid for $20 million, saying a story it carried reporting she was pregnant with twins has filled her with heartache because she has tried and so far been unable to have a child.


"This thing has really upset me,'' Dion, a resident of Quebec, said in a statement read by her attorney Monday, the same day the suit was filed in Superior Court in Los Angeles.


"Since that story came out, everyone has been congratulating me and I have to keep telling them that it's not true,'' she said. "I only wish it was true and I hope and pray that some day it will be.''


The Feb. 1 cover of the National Enquirer features a photograph of Dion and the headline: "Celine - I'm pregnant with twins.''


The story, citing a source "who knows Celine,'' also reported that Dion was impregnated with the frozen sperm of her husband, Ren? Angelil.


"The story is absolutely false,'' and the cover falsely conveys the impression that Dion granted an interview to the Enquirer, her attorney, Martin Singer, said.


"No one contacted Miss Dion or her publicist to try to verify the veracity of the story,'' Singer said.


The suit alleges misappropriation of the right of publicity, false light invasion of privacy, unfair competition and unfair business practices, and intentional infliction of emotional distress.


Dion's hits include "My Heart Will Go On,'' the theme song from the movie "Titanic.''