Install

Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

PICKS OF THE WEEK




The recently rebuilt Church of Christ the Savior may have caused, in recent years, a great deal of ink to flow and passions to be spent. Despite the hubbub, however, the main hall of the cathedral is still closed and will likely remain so until April. But visitors to the cathedral can still enjoy the cathedral museum's engaging exhibit "In the Light of the Soul, there is Rebirth...," on display through March.


The exhibit features copies of paintings, sculptures, icons and other examples of applied arts that hang in a part of the cathedral that is off limits until it reopens this spring.


The artists who redecorated the church during its reconstruction from 1994 to 1999 took great pains to conform to the building's original 19th-century character, and the exhibit reflects their efforts. The museum houses a number of enormous paintings of religious scenes and figures, all of them done within the last four years. In one, a grey-haired Christ wears a downy beard and holds a dove in his hands - the original work hangs in the cathedral's central dome.


The exhibit also contains a series of drawings illustrating the tumultuous history of the cathedral: from its demolition in 1931 on Stalin's order, to the construction of a giant swimming pool on the foundation of what was intended to be Moscow's new Palace of the Soviets on the same site. The Palace was never built, and the pool remained until Mayor Yury Luzhkov ordered the cathedral reconstructed.


"In the Light of the Soul, there is Rebirth..." (Svetom Dushi Vozroditsya...) runs until March 30 in the Museum of the Church of the Christ the Savior, located at 15 Ulitsa Volkhonka. Metro Kropotkinskaya. Tel. 202-4721.


- Florence Gallez