Install

Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Vet Ruling Challenged




MOSCOW -- Top military prosecutors said Wednesday they would appeal last week's acquittal of three men who had been charged in a graveside bomb attack that killed 14 people.


Prosecutors had charged the three, all veterans of the Afghan war, of placing the bomb under a refreshments table at a memorial service in 1996 for another Afghan veteran, Mikhail Likhodei.


The men and their victims belonged to rival factions of a veterans' association allegedly involved in organized crime.


Judges acquitted the three Friday, citing a lack of evidence.


"The ruling was unjustified,'' Itar-Tass quoted a spokesman for the Main Military Prosecutors Office as saying.


"The Main Military Prosecutor's Office will file an additional appeal after it has studied the minutes of the court hearings,'' the spokesman said.


Russia has no firm legal protection against double-jeopardy.