Install

Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Paper Says FSB Responsible For City Apartment Blasts




The Russian government's representative in Chechnya, Nikolai Koshman, has denied a report in a British newspaper that the Federal Security Service carried out the apartment building bombings.


"It is scarcely imaginable that anybody could give the order to blow up people sleeping in their beds in Moscow," Koshman said Thursday at a news conference, Itar-Tass reported.


Nearly 300 people died when four apartment buildings were destroyed by explosions in September. The attacks were blamed on Chechen terrorists and they provoked the government of Vladimir Putin, the former FSB chief, to launch the latest war in Chechnya.


Koshman said a training school for "saboteurs" had recently been discovered in the Chechen town Urus-Martan, and explosives identical to those used in the explosions were found there.


The Independent reported last week that it had obtained a videotape on which a Russian officer, captured by the Chechens, "confesses" that the FSB carried out the bombings.


On the video, shot by a Turkish journalist last month, the captured Russian identifies himself as Alexei Galtin of the GRU, the military intelligence service.


"It is the FSB, in cooperation with the GRU, that is responsible for the explosions in Volgodonsk and Moscow," Galtin said, the newspaper reported.