Install

Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Shalimov Offers Proof




MOSCOW -- Veteran Russian striker Igor Shalimov said in an interview published Tuesday that he can prove his innocence in the doping charges that resulted in a two-year ban from Italian soccer.


Earlier this month, Shalimov was barred from playing professional soccer in Italy for two years because he tested positive for a nandrolone metabolite.


Shalimov told the Sport Express daily that he had been treated with the drug at a military hospital last winter, and that he had written records from the hospital to prove it, Itar-Tass reported.


He had originally argued that the banned steroid may have shown in his system because he ate contaminated meat.