Install

Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Minister: Arrests in Listyev Murder




Three years after Russia's most sensational murder, arrests have been made in the killing of television host and executive Vladislav Listyev, a high-ranking police official said in an interview published Wednesday.


The sudden statement from First Deputy Interior Minister General Vladimir Kolesnikov came just two days after Russia's top prosecutor said no suspects could be named in the case.


"Certain people have been arrested and we may expect results very soon,'' Kolesnikov told the popular daily Komsomolskaya Pravda. He stopped short of any further comment.


Last week, an official in charge of the probe into Listyev's killing said the investigators have received important information from Switzerland and other countries which might help solve the case.


Listyev was gunned down at the age of 38 outside his home in Moscow on March 1, 1995. He was one of Russia's most popular television celebrities, just named at the time to head Russia's main television network, ORT.


The case was widely assumed to be a contract killing linked to Listyev's business activities, particularly his efforts to review ORT's lucrative advertising contracts.


Earlier this week, President Boris Yeltsin scolded Prosecutor General Yury Skuratov in front of television cameras for lack of progress in the investigation.