Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Yeltsin Leaves Hospital for Rus Country Residence

President Boris Yeltsin was released from a hospital Wednesday after more than two weeks of treatment for pneumonia. He moved to a secluded country residence outside the capital, the Kremlin said.

Yeltsin has rarely been seen or heard since he was admitted to the Central Clinical Hospital on Nov. 22. He appeared in the Kremlin for three hours on Monday to fire several top aides, including chief of staff Valentin Yumashev, and then returned to his hospital bed.

Yeltsin's spokesman Dmitry Yakushkin said the president had moved to the wooded Rus residence, about 100 kilometers from Moscow, for a "convalescence period."

"Doctors are generally satisfied with the president's condition," Yakushkin was quoted as saying by Interfax. The president will continue to receive "periodic checkups at the hospital," he added.

The president was allowed to begin taking brief walks around the hospital grounds. Yeltsin insists that he has no serious health problems, but few believe that he will be able to return to full-time work.

Yeltsin did not have any meetings planned Wednesday and there was no word on when he might return to the Kremlin.

Yeltsin, 67, has been a part-time president for months as his health has declined. He has said almost nothing about Russia's economic crisis, which hit four months ago.

The president's latest illness clearly demonstrated that Yeltsin is not involved in the day-to-day running of the government, though he remains extremely sensitive to any suggestions that he's a lame duck, or that he won't serve out his term until the year 2000.

The president's only major announcement during his illness was the dismissal of his aides, some of whom had dared to comment on the president's health problems.

Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov is dealing with the country's economic turmoil, and the Cabinet on Wednesday gathered to work a plan for next year's budget.