Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Investigators Finishing at Guam Site

AGANA, Guam -- The investigation at the site of a Korean Air jet crash in Guam is nearly over, federal agents said Monday, and families prepared to take victims' bodies home to South Korea.

Investigators from the National Transportation Safety Board have already sent much of the data about the crash to Washington for analysis and will be leaving Guam in days.

"Our operation here is winding down,'' NTSB member George Black said.

NTSB agents say they are still months away from figuring out what caused Wednesday's deadly crash, which killed 226 people. But they have found that an airport warning system that might have prevented the accident was not working at the time of the crash.

Workers also were trying to remove the remaining bodies from the crash site. So far, 162 complete remains and 41 partial remains have been recovered from the rocky hillside where the plane went down, Black said.

At least 13 bodies have been identified, said Clifford Guzman of the Guam Governor's Office. Officials earlier said 39 bodies had been identified, but Guzman said that number included victims whose families have not yet been notified or whose identity was only tentatively determined.

Arrangements were under way with the victims' families -- most of them South Korean -- to send the identified bodies home.

The latest victim, 11-year-old Grace Chung of Marietta, Georgia, died Sunday in San Antonio, where she was being treated for burns.

Investigators believe the pilot had full control of the jet when it crashed, and are looking for clues to explain why he was flying so low.

Investigators are still looking at whether all the pilot's instrumentation was working, what impact the driving rain may have had, and they are analyzing the flight's data and voice recordings.

The Federal Aviation Administration, meanwhile, was trying to figure out when the faulty system -- the Radar Minimum Safe Altitude Warning System -- should have alerted officials that Flight 801 was flying too close to the hill.

The system normally issues an alert if a jet is flying too low, and officials on the ground inform the pilot. But federal investigators said Sunday that an error was apparently inserted into the system's software during an overhaul.

Investigators say the mistake was not to blame for the crash, but a properly working system could have allowed air traffic controllers to direct the pilot of the Boeing 747 to pull the jumbo jet to a higher altitude as he approached Guam International Airport.