Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Chinese Button Scare

MOSCOW (x) -- Hundreds of silk shirts imported from China were burned in Kazakhstan after a mysterious red powder in the buttons sparked a health scare, the weekly Caravan reported Friday.

"The people thought the shirts were dangerous for their health because the buttons contained a red powder," the weekly said.

The powder has been sent for analysis, but importers say it is simply naphthalene, to deter insects.

Chinese officials said, however, they believe the health scare was fueled by local traders worried about a flood of Chinese imports.

Several areas of Kazakhstan have banned Chinese vodka after two men died after drinking the alcohol.