Install

Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Burundi Cites Massacre

NAIROBI, Kenya -- A spokesman for Burundi's military ruler said Thursday that Hutu rebels had killed 135 civilians and wounded about 140 by shooting them and slashing them with machetes in northwestern Burundi.


Jean-Luc Ndizeye, military ruler Pierre Buyoya's spokesman, said "terrorists" attacked Buganda commune in Cibitoke province Wednesday night, apparently after residents refused to cooperate with them.


There was no immediate independent confirmation of the report. Cibitoke is one of the most dangerous provinces in Burundi, and all foreign aid workers pulled out last year.