Install

Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Army May Leave 450,000 Homeless

Planned military reform and army cuts will leave another 60,000 servicemen homeless bringing their total number to 450,000, Itar-Tass reported citing a government official.


Yefim Basin, head of the State Committee for Questions of Architecture and Construction, said Monday that solving this housing problem is "one of the important tasks of the building industry."


Basin said the government is working out a five-year federal program of state housing certificates designed to provide housing to more than 380,000 military families by 2003.


The government's program calls for subsidizing up to 80 percent of the cost of housing construction, with the remaining 20 percent to be paid by servicemen themselves or through bank credits.


Under the program, subsidies will be provided either in the form of housing or cash to those who have served in the army for more than 10 years and who have no housing in Russia or elsewhere, Basin said.