Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Champs Climb to Premier Top Spot


LONDON -- Manchester United triumphed in the second part of its Wimbledon trilogy, beating the London team 2-1 to go to the top of the premier league for the first time this season.

The defending champion, which drew 1-1 with Wimbledon in the fourth round of the F.A. Cup on Saturday and faces the Dons again in the replay next Tuesday, dominated the match and hit the crossbar three times with stunning long-range strikes.

But they fell behind on the hour when Chris Perry poked home an Alan Kimble corner.

Ryan Giggs equalized for the champions after 76 minutes with an artful front-post header from a David Beckham corner.

United surged forward, sensing victory, and with seven minutes to play Beckham crossed from the right and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer hit a sweet volley that goalkeeper Neil Sullivan managed to block. Striker Andy Cole, who had come on as a second-half substitute, nipped in to fire home the winner.

The victory takes United to 47 points in 24 matches, one ahead of Liverpool, which was not playing, and Arsenal, a 2-1 winner at West Ham.

Newcastle remains fourth after a remarkable comeback at home to out-of-form Everton, whose disgruntled manager, Joe Royle, dropped goalkeeper Neville Southall for the first time since 1982.

The tactic appeared to have worked when Everton took the lead through Gary Speed after three minutes and then kept Newcastle at bay for over an hour.

But Newcastle struck four times in the last 16 minutes through Les Ferdinand (74), Robert Lee (79), Alan Shearer (penalty 83) and Robbie Elliott (90), to give manager Kenny Dalglish his first league victory since he took over from Kevin Keegan earlier this month.

Royle announced after the match that Russian international winger Andrei Kanchelskis is expected to transfer from Everton to Fiorentina on Thursday in an ?8 million ($12.8 million) deal.

It is reported that Kanchelskis will be paid the equivalent of some $4 million for a four-year deal with Fiorentina.

Nottingham Forest witnessed the return of Brian Clough, who managed the club for 18 years, made his first appearance at a home match since he quit in 1993.

Clough was given a standing ovation as he made his way to his seat and responded by blowing kisses to the crowd. The party atmosphere soon evaporated, though, with Forest losing 1-0 to fellow strugglers Coventry.

Second division Stockport produced one of the cup shocks of recent seasons when they reached the League Cup semifinals with a stunning 2-1 replay victory at premiership Southampton. ()

(For other results, see Scorecard.)