Install

Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

U.S. Eyes Saudi Threat

WASHINGTON () -- Up to 4,000 U.S. troops in Saudi Arabia may be moved to protect them from threatened terror attacks worse than the one that killed 19 U.S. servicemen last month, U.S. Defense Secretary William Perry said Wednesday.


"We are going to prepare for a very intense threat. It will be costly," Perry warned.


Perry said "terrorists ... trying to drive us out of Saudi Arabia'' could possibly attack U.S. forces in the Middle East with chemical or biological weapons.


The defense secretary has spoken since early July of the potential of shifting U.S. forces in Saudi Arabia to more defensible positions.