Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Remember June 15? It's U.S. Tax Day

For the many American expatriates living in Moscow who have dropped that annoying word, "tax," from their vocabularies, Bert Gimm, assistant Internal Revenue Service attach? in Bonn, Germany, has a message.

"They're going to be in for a rude awakening," said Gimm of expats who fail to file their United States income tax extension forms by the June 15 deadline. "If they have filed tax returns before and stopped filing, our computer will pick that up and send out notices and letters asking why you haven't filed. If we don't get a response, we get information from banks, stockbrokers and other sources. If we get information that someone has earned a certain amount of income, we will proceed with a civil tax assessment and can consider criminal prosecution."

American expats, according to Gimm, can claim up to $70,000 in tax exemptions, but there are stipulations.

"You must be outside the States for the entire calendar year or 330 days out of 12 months. And income must be from non-American sources," he said.

Expatriates living in Moscow can contact the IRS office in Bonn at 49-228-339-2810, or the U.S. Embassy in Moscow at 252-2451 to get an extension.