Install

Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Officials Blamed In April Ambush

Russian military officials are to blame -- and may be prosecuted -- for heavy losses in an ambush against a troop convoy in Chechnya last month, the country's justice minister said Sunday.


Valentin Kovalyov headed a commission investigating the rebel ambush April 16. Speaking on Russian Public Television, he said the final death toll from the attack was 73 servicemen, with 52 wounded and three missing. Eight armored vehicles and 20 automobiles were destroyed.


According to Interfax, Kovalyov said there had been no checkpoints on the road ahead of the convoy, reconnaissance had not been carried out and there was no air or artillery cover.