Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Friend Doubts Tyson Allegation

CHICAGO -- Police continued to investigate a new accusation of sexual assault against heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson while friends of the woman who made the charge and managers of the bar where the incident allegedly took place questioned the merits of the allegation.

The complainant, who has not been identified, works as a beautician at a shop in Merrillville, Indiana. Tammy Batty, who also works at the beauty shop, told WLS-TV in Chicago on Wednesday that she and the woman went to the bar together, went their separate ways while there, but left together.

"When we got ready to go, she asked me for her keys, we got to the car, she started crying,'' Batty said in the television interview. "I asked her what was wrong. She said that Mike Tyson has sexually assaulted her. She wouldn't say anything else and it was, like, 'What did he do to you?' And she said she couldn't say.''

"I asked her, "Why didn't you say anything to the police officers who were there?''' Batty added. "She didn't have anything to say.''

A statement released by the management of The Clique, a popular nightspot south of downtown Chicago, said that at the time of the alleged incident several "highly visible security personnel'' were inside the club and that uniformed Chicago police officers were outside the club during most of the night.

"At no point during the course of the night were our security personnel or, to our knowledge, the Chicago Police Department made aware of any such reports, charges or allegations,'' the statement said.

According to Jerry Lee Peteet, a Gary, Indiana, lawyer who is representing the 25-year-old woman, his client was at the bar with friends when she was invited to a private room to meet someone. It was there, Peteet said in a telephone interview, that Tyson sexually assaulted the woman. He would not provide details of the alleged incident.

Peteet said he has been contacted by representatives of Tyson since the complaint was filed with Chicago police but he would not discuss the details. He said that later Monday morning the woman was treated at a hospital, apparently in Gary, for injuries and then made her complaint to Chicago police.

Tyson, 29, is serving four years probation following his 1992 conviction of raping Desiree Washington, a Rhode Island college student who had been competing in the Miss Black America pageant in Indianapolis. He served three years of a six-year sentence in an Indiana prison before being released on probation in March 1995.