. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Cowboys' Irvin Indicted on Drug Charges

DALLAS -- Michael Irvin, the all-time leading receiver and vocal leader of the Super Bowl champion Dallas Cowboys, has been indicted on cocaine and marijuana charges by a Texas grand jury.

A month after being discovered in a hotel room with a woman who was arrested for possession of an estimated $6,000 worth of drugs, Irvin was indicted Monday on charges of marijuana and cocaine possession. The cocaine charge is a felony. If convicted, Irvin could face up to 20 years in jail.

Because of a judicial gag order, no one involved in the case would comment Monday. It was uncertain whether Irvin would be arrested or turn himself in.

Besides whatever criminal penalties he may face, Irvin's indictment will probably land him in the NFL's drug-treatment program. There could also be further punishment by the Cowboys, who could charge that Irvin violated the "good conduct" portion of a contract scheduled to pay him an average of $2.8 million for the next four years.

Sources said it was Irvin's flashy streak -- a trademark of his on and off the field -- that ultimately got him in his current trouble.

Shortly before midnight March 3, police in Irving, Texas, responding to an emergency 911 call from a hotel manager, found Irvin, former teammate Alfredo Roberts and two women described as self-employed models in a room at the Residence Inn there.

Police said one of the women, Angela Renee Beck, 22, claimed she was the owner of the drugs. They arrested only her at the time.

Besides the drugs, however, police reportedly recovered razor blades, pipes used to snort cocaine and two dinner plates, one dusted with cocaine and the other with cocaine and marijuana.

KXAS-TV of Fort Worth quoted sources close to the investigation last week as saying Irvin's fingerprints were found on a variety of those items. The station also said a glass container with cocaine residue was found in his overnight bag.

Sources, however, said Irving police were content to go easy on Irvin, hoping he would be helpful in a grand jury investigation.

However, Irvin did not show up for his first grand jury appointment two weeks ago. When he finally appeared several days later, wearing a mink coat, he appeared to make a joke of the process.

He signed an autograph for a courthouse employee that eventually resulted in the woman's firing. He stuck his head out of the courtroom during the proceedings to offer doughnuts to reporters.

During a recess, he stepped outside the courtroom and flipped through a phone book while announcing that he was ordering a pizza.