Install

Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Croats Join Moslems To Create New State

SARAJEVO -- Bosnia's Moslem-Croat Federation named a new government with a Moslem prime minister Wednesday, completing the creation of government structures envisaged under this stage of the Dayton peace deal.


The federation, one of two "entities" subsidiary to the country's central government, will have 12 ministries and two ministers without portfolio, the posts divided roughly evenly between Moslems and Croats.


A new central government of Bosnia-Herzegovina, led by Prime Minister Hasan Muratovic, was named on Tuesday.


"The two governments will cooperate and will not interfere with each other's competencies," said Kresimir Zubak, president of the new federation.


Under the deal thrashed out at Dayton, Ohio, in November, Bosnia's central government will handle the country's foreign and external trade affairs, and each "entity" will have its own separate government to handle its internal affairs.


The Moslem-Croat Federation will cover 51 percent of the country and a Serb Republic the other 49 percent.


The new Federation government will serve until countrywide elections, which must be held not later than September.


Izudin Kapetanovic, a Moslem electrical engineer from Tuzla, was named prime minister of the Federation. He will have a Croat deputy, Drago Bilandzija.


"The first task of the government of the Federation of Bosnia-Herzegovina is to establish systematic solutions in the area of the economy," Kapetanovic told the parliament after it had approved his government.


"By this I mean we must revive the economy and have an urgent programme to employ demobilized soldiers."


Six of the new Federation ministers are Croats, seven are Moslems and one is a "minority," in this case a Serb.