Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Newcastle, Aberdeen Crash in UEFA Action


British clubs, disappointing in recent years in Europe, stumbled again in the second round, first leg of the UEFA Cup as Newcastle and Aberdeen crashed to defeat.

In Budapest, Hungarian champions Ferencvaros shook English title leaders Newcastle with a 3-2 UEFA Cup win.

Newcastle's propensity for defensive errors quickly became apparent as they found themselves two goals down with only 17 minutes of the second round, first leg gone.

A weak back pass by Belgian defender Phillipe Albert let in Ferenc Horvath for the opening goal in the seventh minute.

Just 10 minutes later Horvath headed against the bar and Krisztian Lisztes was on hand to strike home the rebound.

Newcastle dug deep into their reserves and staged a brilliant recovery, with strikers Les Ferdinand and Alan Shearer putting them level before halftime.

Ferdinand headed in from close range on 25 minutes after a textbook cross from Shearer. In-form England marksman Shearer volleyed home the equalizer in the 35th minute.

But Ferencvaros were not finished and set up an intriguing return leg in two weeks when Lisztes pounced on a misdirected clearance by Peter Beardsley and fired in a 57th minute winner.

Ebby Sand and Bo Hansen scored as Danish-side Bronkby beat Aberdeen 2-0 away in Scotland.

Bronkby went one up just seconds before halftime and Hansen got the clinching goal in the last minute of the match.

In Italy, Jocelyn Angloma scored a late goal to give Inter MIlan a hard-fought 1-0 victory over Austrian lightweights Casino Graz.

Inter's class team struggled to assert themselves against Casino Graz, appearing in the second round of a European competition for the first time.

Fine saves from goalkeeper Manninger kept the Austrians in with a chance until Angloma's well-directed header from a Ciriaco Sforza corner broke the deadlock.

Clinical finishing by midfielder Thorsten Fink, who scored twice, and South African striker Sean Dundee steered Karlsruhe to an impressive 3-0 home victory over Italy's Roma.

Fink gave the Germans the lead at the end of the first half with a brilliant glancing header. In the 58th minute Dundee pounced at the left-hand post to fire in an excellent cross from Michael Tarnat.

The two scorers then combined for the third goal in the 75th minute. Dundee flicked the ball acrobatically to Fink in the penalty area and the midfielder struck the ball sweetly into the left-hand corner.

Classy goals by Scot John Collins, Nigerian Victor Ikpeba and youngster Thierry Henry helped Monaco upset Borussia Moenchengladbach 4-2.

The French side opened the scoring in the 12th minute after a quick counter-attack. Ikpeba slipped the ball to Collins just outside the box and the Scottish midfielder fired it crisply into the left-hand corner with his left foot.

Seconds after Christian Hochstaetter had equalized for the Germans in the 57th minute, Ikpeba beat two Borussia defenders and Moenchengladbach goalkeeper Uwe Kamps before firing home.

Borussia seemed to have avoided defeat when a long-range free-kick from Swede Patrik Andersson found the net in the 72nd minute. But just six minutes later Henry showed his blistering speed down the left wing and scored.

In the dying seconds Ikpeba beat the Borussia offside trap and struck the ball inside the right-hand post. for his second goal.

While Monaco were ahead of the German game, Metz were certainly ahead of the Portuguese one, scoring twice in the opening 13 minutes to beat Sporting Lisbon 2-0 at home.

Their marksmen were Senegal's Amara Traore and Didier Lang.

Valencia, who knocked holders Bayern Munich out in the last round, scored another impressive victory, winning 1-0 at Slavia Prague thanks to a Carlos Moya goal after 73 minutes.


(For other results, see Scorecard)