Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Italian Teams Crash Out as Newcastle Cruises


LONDON -- David Ginola scored one of the season's great goals as Newcastle outclassed Ferencvaros of Hungary 4-0 in the UEFA Cup, while Italian football reeled from its worst cup performance in 17 years with Lazio and AS Roma joining Parma on the scrap heap.

Newcastle's Frenchman struck after Colombian Faustino Asprilla had sewn up the tie with a goal in each half, prompting Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan to say afterwards, "That was our best performance yet."

The goal, which put Newcastle 3-0 ahead, came after 65 minutes. Ginola, lurking on the edge of the penalty area, trapped a loose ball on his right thigh, teed it up with the inside of his right foot and blasted a high, sizzling, left-foot volley into the top left-hand corner of Jozef Szeller's net.

Newcastle could have won by an even bigger margin, but Peter Beardsley missed a first-half penalty, and Newcastle wasted several scoring chances before Asprilla eventually made the breakthrough just before halftime.

England striker Les Ferdinand wrapped up the victory with a last-minute goal.

But another England international had a night to forget.

Inter Milan's Paul Ince was sent off in extra time for a second bookable offense, as Inter struggled to get past unfancied Casino Graz. The tie finished 1-1 on aggregate before Inter won 5-3 on penalties. Inter Milan is now the only Italian club left in the tournament.

Lazio won 1-0 at home but suffered a goal blitz in Tenerife, where it lost 5-2, while AS Roma was left to rue a 3-0 defeat in Germany after beating SC Karlsruhe 2-1 in the Olympic stadium.

Parma had failed even to reach the second round last month. Italian clubs had not done so badly in Europe's largest tournament since the 1979 to 1980 season, when all four sides -- Torino, Inter, Napoli and Perugia -- were out by the end of the second round.

Inter, which won 1-0 at the San Siro a fortnight ago, trailed 1-0 on the night to Herfried Sabitzer's 35th minute penalty.

"We were lucky; there's no doubt about that," said a relieved coach Roy Hodgson. "I would rather have been a spectator in the stands -- I would have suffered a lot less."

Hodgson's only regret was Inter's failure to take its chances. The main culprit was Maurizio Ganz, who missed a sitter from near the penalty spot. Ince also missed a golden opportunity.

However, Roma took all its best chances and still lost to Karlsruhe. Argentine striker Abel Balbo had the home side 2-0 up after barely 25 minutes. But Carlos Bianchi's men were then floored by a late strike by Karlsruhe's Marc Keller.

"When we were 2-0 up, I believed we could do it," Bianchi admitted. "I was really expecting a third goal, and we went close with Marco Delvecchio and Daniel Fonseca.

"But then the Germans scored, and all hope was lost."

There was no question as to where the blame lay. "The players didn't do what they should have done in the second half in Germany," Bianchi said. "3-0 was too heavy a defeat; it's very difficult to overturn a scoreline like that."

Lazio's defense was the culprit in Spain. From being 2-1 up, Lazio managed to equalize for 3-3, and was still on course when it trailed 4-3 in the second half before Juanele supplied the killer blow.

Club president Dino Zoff did not mince his words. "It was disastrous," he fumed. "It really was a night to forget. A shoddy performance by all the Lazio players."

Skipper Giuseppe Signori summed up the feelings of the team: "I just can't understand how we can be knocked out after scoring four goals -- and three of them away from home. It really is incredible."

In other UEFA matches, Valencia's goalkeeper, Andoni Zubizaretta, was sent off for hand-ball outside the penalty area five minutes into the second half against Slavia Prague.

But his Valencia side held on to draw 0-0 to reach the third round of a European competition for the first time in eight years. They went through 1-0 on aggregate.

There were no major shocks overall, although Germans Schalke was made to fight all the way for its place in the last 16 by Trabzonspor of Turkey.

Schalke went to Trabzonspor 1-0 ahead from the first leg, and quickly raced into a 2-0 lead on the night, thanks to two headers from Dutchman Johan de Kock, which put them 3-0 ahead over the two legs.

But Trabzonspor fought back, going 3-2 up on the night through two goals from Hami Mandirali and causing some concern to the Germans, who were then leading only on the away-goals rule.

With 15 minutes left, Martin Max, who scored the only goal in the first leg, clinched the tie with Schalke's third. Fellow Germans Hamburg and Karlsruhe joined Schalke in the next round, although Borussia Moenchengladbach was eliminated 4-3 on aggregate, despite winning 1-0 at Monaco.

Espanol scored a 1-0 win over Dutch side Feyenoord in Rotterdam, but never looked like pulling back the 3-0 deficit. ()

(For other results, see Scorecard.)