Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

United Heads for Repeat Double

MANCHESTER -- Manchester United stayed on course for a unique back-to-back league and cup double when it beat Queens Park Rangers 2-0 to reach the semifinal of the FA Cup. Lee Sharpe and Denis Irwin scored the goals.

Sharpe put United on their way after 23 minutes when he moved on to a pass from Ryan Giggs and struck a shot into the corner.

Irwin again demonstrated his outstanding ability at dead-ball situations. In the 53rd minute, the defender, spotting a gap in the QPR wall, curled a superb free kick into the top right-hand corner.

In the other quarterfinal game Sunday, Everton upset Newcastle 1-0 thanks to a goal from captain Dave Watson.

In the semifinals on April 9, United faces the winner of the Crystal Palace-Wolves quarterfinal replay and Everton meets Tottenham.

At Goodison Park, Newcastle played some neat football despite the absence of Peter Beardsley, only to fall victim to Everton's more direct approach.

Striker Duncan Ferguson was a constant aerial threat and it was his flick header which in the 66th minute offered Watson the chance to nod the ball past goalkeeper Pavel Srnicek.

Saturday a goal by J--rgen Klinsmann with less than 90 seconds to go, sent Tottenham through with a thrilling 2-1 win over Liverpool at Anfield. Robbie Fowler put Liverpool ahead in the 38th minute. But Spurs hit back right on half time when Teddy Sheringham scored after being set up by Klinsmann. The highly charged game looked to be heading for a draw until the German striker snuck in between defenders John Scales and Rob Jones to flick the ball past goalkeeper David James.

A goal by Gordan Cowans grabbed a draw for Wolves at Selhurst Park. After a scoreless first half, Palace raised the pace. In the 53rd minute Ian Dowie was on hand from the edge of the six-yard box to score.

Thirteen minutes later, Wolves veteran Cowans won the ball on the left and slammed it past keeper Nigel Martyn. Palace attacked fervently in the remaining 20 minutes, but Wolves hung on for a deserved draw.

To complete a thrilling day's soccer, Alan Shearer scored for Blackburn with three minutes to go in its Premiership match against Coventry to snatch a 1-1 draw, extending its lead at the top to four points.

In the Scottish Cup quarter finals, Celtic's John Collins scored the only goal of the game to defeat Premier Division rivals Kilmarnock 1-0. Second Division Stenhousemuir's dream run came to a crashing halt with a 4-0 loss to Hibernian with all goals coming in the second half, two to Kevin Harper. Hearts midfielder John Millar ended Dundee United's hopes of hanging on to the Scottish Cup with two headed goals in their 2-1 win, while the all Division One clash went Airdrie's way with a 4-1 win over Raith Rovers.

Italian First Division. Roberto Baggio marked his first league appearance for three months with a fine goal from a free kick as leaders Juventus beat Foggia 2-0 to maintain their four-point advantage over Parma on Sunday.

Parma kept up their challenge with a thrilling 3-2 win over Sampdoria, their playmaker Gianfranco Zola scored twice. Milan moved to third after Marco Simone gave them a 1-0 win over Padova.

German Bundesliga. Borussia Dortmund continued to show title jitters Saturday, scraping a 1-1 draw with Eintracht Frankfurt and seeing their lead over Werder Bremen shrink to one point. Werder stepped up the pressure with a 5-1 home win over fourth-placed Freiburg. (AP, Reuters, MT)