Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Scotland Stuns France, England Tops Wales

PARIS -- Scottish captain Gavin Hastings scored a try with three minutes left, then converted to give Scotland a 23-21 victory over France in Five Nations rugby, its first win in Paris in 26 years.

"That was an heroic achievement by the team," said Hastings, who scored 18 points in the comeback victory Saturday.

Scotland, now 2-0 in Five Nations play, had to rally twice to break its 12-match losing streak in France.

After Saint-Andre opened the scoring with a fourth-minute try, the Scots pulled ahead on a 25th minute penalty by Hastings and a spectacular, multiple-pass try two minutes later scored by Gregor Townsend.

Another penalty by Hastings, playing his 54th international match, gave Scotland a 13-5 lead at halftime.

But France, seeking redemption after a 31-10 loss to England two weeks ago, stormed back after the break, taking a seemingly decisive 21-16 lead on a surge that including a drop goal by Thierry Lacroix and Saint-Andre's second try.

With time slipping away, Hastings received a close-range handoff from Townsend, shifted direction once and sprinted 30 meters across the center of the try line under the uprights. The easy conversion gave him 18 points for the match, and, moments later, many of the Scots were weeping with joy on the sidelines.

This was also a big boost for Scotland as the French and Scots are in the same pool for the Rugby World Cup which is being held in South Africa and play each other June 3 in Pretoria.

Among the 50,000 crowd at the Parc de Princes were Princess Anne and French Prime Minister Edouard Balladur.

England 23, Wales 9. Tries from Victor Ubogu and Rory Underwood gave England a 23-9 victory over Wales on Saturday and put their team closer to a rugby union Grand Slam.

The English did not look as impressive as in their victories over Ireland and France. But they overpowered the Welsh in the forward play, especially after Wales' John Davies was sent off 17 minutes from the end, the first send-off in Five Nations history. The Welsh fans were stunned when French referee Didier Mene sent off the prop forward. It was not immediately clear why he had been expelled but it was later revealed to be for kicking an English player in a ruck.

Rob Andrew kicked two penalties and a conversion while all the Welsh points came from three penalties by fly-half Neil Jenkins.

Early Welsh pressure at Cardiff Arms Park earned a deserved score in the sixth minute when an English forward was guilty of a handling offense and Jenkins kicked a 45-yard penalty.

Andrew was just short of the target from a similar distance as England began to win more of the ball and put the Welsh under pressure. The visitor scored a try in the 19th minute with some impressive forward play.

The pack pushed the Welsh back to within three yards of their own line and Ubogu peeled off the maul and drove through tackles by Jenkins and Richie Collins for a try. Andrew added the conversion and England led 7-3.

Seven minutes later, it was 10-3 when the Welsh were caught offside after losing possession in a ruck and Andrew kicked the penalty from 26 yards.

Jenkins cut the lead to 10-6 with 40-yard penalty a minute into the secondhalf but Andrew made it 13-6 with an even longer kick in the 49th minute.

Underwood's first try in the 53rd minute came from an interception and powerful run by back-row forward Ben Clarke. With the Welsh struggling to cover the break, England switched the play to the left with fullback Mike Catt joining the three-quarter line to feed the ball to the winger. Underwood cut inside between two Welsh defenders and charged over for his 41st international try. Underwood's second try came in the third minute of injury time. The Welsh were caught on a break by the English forwards and the ball went swiftly through the hands of Will Carling, Jeremy Guscott, Carling and Catt to the winger, who dived over in the corner.