Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Arsenal, Blackburn Eliminated From F.A. Cup

LONDON -- Millwall joined a lengthening list of lower-division clubs to knock mighty Arsenal out of the F.A. Cup on Wednesday, scoring a 2-0 result at, of all places, Highbury.

To make it worse, Division One's Millwall was the club that Arsenal manager George Graham left to move to Highbury.

On a night when Premier League leader Blackburn was eliminated by Newcastle and Liverpool needed a penalty shootout to overcome Division Two's Birmingham, the events at Highbury provided the biggest replay upset. With American goalkeeper Kasey Keller making important saves for the Lions and almost getting himself expelled, Millwall triumphed through goals from two 20-year-old newcomers, Mark Beard and Mark Kennedy.

"I was always confident we could win at Highbury," Millwall manager Mick McCarthy said. "I think we wanted it more than them tonight.

"But don't let that detract from the football my players played. I think we won quite simply because we were better than them, and created more chances."

But Millwall now joins Walsall, York and Wrexham as lower-division clubs that have knocked Arsenal out, all in the early rounds.

Swiss World Cup star Marc Hottiger drove home a 30-yard shot for his first goal in English soccer, and Lee Clark netted the winner five minutes from the end, as Newcastle won 2-1 at Blackburn and knocked the Premier League leader out of the competition.

Liverpool, which is third in the Premier League, had to go to a penalty shootout to overcome Division Two leader Birmingham City at Anfield after the two teams tied 1-1 after extra time. Liverpool won the shootout 2-0.

In another cup replay, German striker Uwe Rosler scored four goals and countryman Maurizio Gaudino netted another as Manchester City overpowered Division One's Notts County 5-2.

At Highbury, Mark Beard fired Millwall ahead after 10 minutes, and Mark Kennedy added the second in the final minute. The result was another grim defeat for the Gunners, who are only 4 points above the Premier League relegation zone, and last week were knocked out of the League Cup by Liverpool.

Curiously, it had one big chance of glory left, defending its European Cup Winners Cup title.

Beard drove the ball home from close range from a left wing center by Jason van Blerk, but Keller kept his team on terms with a spectacular save from Kevin Campbell.

Keller was lucky not be expelled for handling the ball outside his penalty area in the second half, but Millwall got another goal in the last minute when Irish Under-21 striker Kennedy ran through the Arsenal defense and shot home.

At Ewood Park, Chris Sutton ended a fine Blackburn move to equalize Hottiger's 48th- minute strike, and the replay appeared headed for overtime before Clark fired the winner in the 85th. Newcastle will host Division Two's Swansea in the fourth round.

Hottiger's goal came in the third minute of the second half. A free kick reached him and the Swiss fullback fired a shot between Flowers and the post.

After Srnicek made a brilliant save to keep out a lob from Colin Hendry, he was beaten in the 75th minute.

A Blackburn break from defense ended in a center from the right from Jason Wilcox, Shearer rolled the ball back and Sutton slid it home from 12 yards.

Clark fired the winner when he picked up a loose ball on the edge of the Blackburn area and ran on to drive the ball in off the near post.

A minute later Newcastle defender Peacock kicked the ball off his own goal line with 'keeper Srnicek out of goal.

At Maine Road, Rosler fired two first-half goals that sandwiched an equalizer for Notts County by Gary McSwegan. Gaudino scored a third for the home team and Rosler netted his third in the 57th before County's Rob Armstrong made it 4-2.

Jamie Redknapp's 21st-minute goal gave Liverpool the edge against Birmingham at Anfield when his shot hit the post and rebounded in off City goalkeeper Ian Bennett.

Ricky Otto leveled for the visitor in the 69th when he was left in space inside the Liverpool area and curled a shot past goalkeeper David James.

After 30 minutes of goalless extra time the game went to penalties, but only Liverpool's Jamie Redknapp and Stig Inge Bjornebye managed to find the net.