Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Newcastle a Winner, United Upset, French Fans Fight

LONDON -- Newcastle stayed atop the English premier league this weekend with a 4-2 win over Chelsea, while last year's champions Manchester United suffered their first loss of the year at the hands of Leeds United.

Elsewhere around Europe, hooliganism marred games in France and first-place teams advanced their leads.

Newcastle's Andy Cole, ignored by England for the midweek international, scored twice to take his season's tally to six goals -- and 52 in 57 league appearances -- with the first after seven minutes and the last in the 66th. Newcastle registered its fifth successive win.

Chelsea, who also began the day with a 100 percent record, finished with only 10 men after captain Dennis Wise was sent off in the 72nd minute for dissent.

He was one of five players dismissed in the premier league -- three coming in the clash between Wimbledon and LeicesterCity.

Leeds beat United 2-1, but only after enduring a nerve-wracking last quarter of an hour after Eric Cantona -- who walked out on the club two years ago -- reduced the deficit with a controversial penalty. Television replays showed a defender's challenge had been outside the penalty area.

Leeds had gone ahead after 13 minutes when defender David Wetherall scored after a mix-up in the Manchester penalty area. Substitute Brian Deane shook the champions with a second goal four minutes after the break.

Alan Shearer, who struck twice for England against the United States on Wednesday, scored another two for Blackburn Rovers as they beat struggling Everton 3-0 to move into third place, four points behind Newcastle.

Nottingham Forest continued to impress on their return to the premier league with a thumping 4-1 win over Sheffield

Wednesday which lifted them to second place, two points behind Newcastle.

In France, the former European champions Marseille and first division club Lens said on Monday they would sue rival fans after an outbreak of hooliganism tarnished the country's soccer weekend.

Marseille vice president Jean-Louis Levreau had to have his cheek stitched after being hit by a stone in a shower ofmissiles thrown by Parisian fans during the second division game with Red Star.

Lens goalkeeper Guillaume Warmuz was punched and knocked down by a Bordeaux supporter who ran out on the pitch and there was crowd trouble at a third match when home fans rioted in Nice after the referee refused two goals.

The most serious incident was at the St. Ouen stadium in Paris where several hundred Paris St. Germain fans picked fights with Marseille supporters outside the ground before the match.

There was more fighting in the stadium during the match and Paris fans started bombarding Marseille keeper Fabien Barthez's goal with missiles.

Levreau, expected to take over as Marseille president from Bernard Tapie who was banned from soccer after last year's bribery scandal, was struck in the face by a stone and had a stitch inserted in his cheek. Red Star won the game 2-1.

Sporting a black eye, Levreau said later: "We're going to sue. This is not football, it's war. We were insulted, threatened and taken to task by agitators wearing Paris St. Germain scarves and emblems."

In Italy, an own-goal from Internazionale's Gianluca Festa helped his former club Roma to an upset 1-0 win at the San Siro on Sunday night.

The unfortunate defender, transferred from Roma, lobbed the ball over his own goalkeeper, Gianluca Pagliuca, with 13 minutes remaining to give the visitors their first win at the San Siro in 14 years. Earlier, the Panamanian Julio Dely Valdez struck a spectacular equalizer as Cagliari held injury-hit Italian champions AC Milan to a 1-1 draw in Sardinia.

The Dutchman Ruud Gullit gave Milan a 12th-minute lead, but in the 35th minute Dely Valdez pounced on a loose ball to acrobatically volley the ball into the roof of the net from just inside the penalty area.