Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Lower-Rung Teams, Blackburn Triumph

LONDON -- Jason Wilcox and Chris Sutton scored second-half goals as the Blackburn Rovers rebounded from last week's UEFA Cup defeat with a 2-0 victory over Division Two Birmingham in the second round of the English League Cup.

Four Premier League clubs fell to lower division teams in the first-leg games Tuesday. Manchester City, Everton, Crystal Palace and West Ham will all have deficits to make up when the second legs are played in two weeks.

Blackburn, which suffered a surprise defeat to a part-time Swedish team in its European debut in a first-round, first-leg UEFA Cup match seven days ago, needed almost an hour to break down a solid Birmingham defense before 14,517 fans at Ewood Park.

In the 55th minute, a deep cross from Mark Atkins found the City defense wanting for the first time, and Wilcox steered a header back into the opposite corner of the net.

Fourteen minutes later, Stuart Ripley's corner kick found Sutton in the box for the clincher.

At Barnet, Dougie Freedman scored the only goal just 27 seconds into the game as the Division Three team upset Manchester City.

"This is a fantastic night for Barnet," Barnet manager Ray Clemence said. "The lads deserved this moment."

At Everton, striker Gerry Creaney gained revenge against the team that once turned him down, scoring twice in Portsmouth's 3-2 victory.

Bjorn Kristensen made it 3-0 for the Division One club before Everton scored two late goals

At Lincoln, David Johnson put in the rebound after a fine run from winger Dave Puttnam as the Division Three club earned a moment of glory with a 1-0 home victory over Crystal Palace.

Two of the three goals scored in Walsall's home victory over West Ham were own goals. Stuart Watkiss, a former mailman, put the Division Three team ahead in the 25th minute before bizarre plays accounted for the other scores.

Walsall's Cameroon international Charlie Ntamark tied the score three minutes from halftime when he inexplicably drove low into the corner of his own net, running back into the box to meet a loose ball after Tony Cottee's shot was blocked. The African winger was later substituted.

But West Ham captain Steve Potts repaid the favor in the 74th minute when he turned a Chris Marsh cross past his own goalkeeper Ludek Miklosko.

In other games involving Premier League teams, Matthew Le Tissier scored in second-half injury time to give Southampton a 1-0 victory at Division Two Huddersfield.

England striker Les Ferdinand struck the decisive blow for Queens Park Rangers in a 1-0 victory at Division Three Carlisle, while Coventry won 2-1 at Division Two Wrexham, and Wimbledon won 2-0 at home against Division Three Torquay.